5 Day 4WD Kakadu/Koolpin Safari (Jun-Sep)
The 5 Day 4WD Kakadu Tour explores Kakadu National Park at its best. The tour visits the special permit area of Koolpin Gorge as well as seeing Jim Jim Falls, Twin Falls, Barramundi Gorge, Ubirr Rock and Gunlom Falls. This is the premium tour for the dedicated adventurer. Small group, maximum of 9 pax.Camping in tents and swags. Travel by 4WD vehicle.
- Cruise the spectacular Corroboree Billabong for crocodile and wildlife spotting
- Jim Jim Falls and hike to the top of Twin Falls, swim & hike
- Nourlangie Rock, hike & rock art. Views over the Arnhemland escarpment
- Maguk (Barramundi Gorge) or Gunlom Falls hike & swim
- Bowali Information Centre within Kakadu National Park
- Jarrangbarnmi (Koolpin Gorge), special permit restricted area, hike & swim
- Gunlom Falls, hike & swim
- Private safari camps all nights
- Campfire & option to sleep under the stars in a Swag
Day 1 – Darwin - Kakadu
Day 1 – Darwin – Kakadu
Pick up from nominated accommodation in Darwin at approximately 6.30am
Drive to Kakadu via the old Jim Jim Road stopping off at white lily billabong for a stretch and some morning tea.
Then its off to Gunlom Falls for a great hike to the top of the waterfall for great views and a swim in the refreshing pools. Don’t forget to explore the sandybeach at the base of the falls that leads to a large plunge pool.
Tonight we camp at Gunlom by the waterfall, away from the crowds & under the stars.
Showers and toilets are available.
Meals: Lunch & dinner
Day 2 – Kakadu
Today we spend the whole day exploring the magnificent Jarrangbarnmi (Koolpin Gorge), this is a special permit access area that is recognised for its cultural and environmental sensitivity
The name Jarrangbarnmi comes from the Jawoyn words jarrang meaning flood, or big water flow, and barn meaning rift or gap
Jarrangbarnmi was created by the Jawoyn creation ancestors. It is part of Buladjang country. Bula created this landscape and then went to live under the ground. Bolung (Rainbow Serpent) lives in plunge pools in this country. Both of these powerful creation ancestors can cause earthquakes, storms, floods and disease if disturbed
Koolpin Gorge is in the southern corner of Kakadu National Park, not far from Gunlom Falls.
The walk up the gorge is a real wilderness walk and requires a good level of fitness with great rewards on arrival to some of the National Parks most spectacular rock pools, waterfalls and rock landscape.
This remote location is restricted to only 40 people per day and it home to a number of endemic species of fauna.
Return to our camp at Gunlom and tonight we enjoy a dinner cooked on the campfire.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner
Day 3 – Kakadu (B, L & D)
This morning we drive north to Maguk (Barramundi Gorge) where we have the entire day to hike, explore and swim in beautiful swimming holes, avoiding the crowds.
A 4-wheel drive adventure takes us to our destination. Upon arrival we take a 1km walk through paperbark and monsoon forest then along a sandy and rocky creek to a small waterfall and that lead us to a beautiful clear plunge pool.
There are small interconnected pools among the rocks that flow into a small lake. The guide will share a few secret swimming holes here including a little secret passage under water connecting two pools.
Here we will also have lunch then a bit more exploring before we make our way further north to Jim Jim Falls.
Tonight we camp at our exclusive safari camp at Garnamarr, at the base of the escarpment.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner
Day 4– Kakadu (B, L & D)
After breakfast we do some 4 Wheel driving to Twin Falls. From here we take the escarpment walk to the top of the falls for a swim in the crystal clear pools away from the crowds.
Then we’ll find a shady spot by Jim Jim Creek for some lunch.
A short climb up Budjimi Lookout will reward you with spectacular views of the ancient Arnhemland escarpment.
After lunch, a 1km walk through monsoonal vine forest to the base of Jim Jim Falls for a relaxing afternoon swimming in the plunge pool and resting on the beach.
Tonight we camp at Mardugal, Showers and toilets available.
Tonight we replenish ourselves with the Great Aussie BBQ including a taste plate of Crocodile, Buffalo and Kangaroo.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner
Day 5 – Kakadu (B & L)
This morning we visit Nourlangie Rock, an ancient aboriginal occupational and art site, here we can explore these sites before walking up to Gunwhardewharde lookout for an exceptional view of the region including Arnhemland.
We then stop off to visit Bowali information centre.
As we make are way back to Darwin we will call in to the Mamakala wetlands to see the incredible bird life.
We finish our Kakadu tour with a wildlife cruise on the spectacular Corroborree Billabong. This is a great opportunity to get fantastic photos of the local wildlife.
Head back to Darwin, returning at approximately 5.30pm.
Meals: Breakfast & lunch
Territory Expeditions Provides
A Territory Expeditions experience will include:
- Small groups (ensures minimal environmental impact)
- All meals as indicated
- Accommodation transfers
- Camping fees and equipment
- Great walks/hikes (getting away from the crowds)
- Interpretation of the natural and cultural features of Kakadu
- Swimming in idyllic locations
- Ancient Rock Art
- Great Lookouts = great photographs
- Wildlife & crocodile cruise
- Special permits into restricted areas of Kakadu which include Jarrangbarnmi (Koolpin Gorge)
- Ikoymarrwa Rock Holes (Moline) and Old Goodparla (Home stead ruins of the first European settlement in what is now Kakadu)
- Safari camping permits at Mardugal and Garnamarr which allows us to camp in the heart of Kakadu surrounded only by trees and a sky full of stars!
What to Bring
- Good walking shoes or boots
- Insect repellent
- A wide brimmed sun hat
- Long sleeve light shirt for sun protection
- 1 litre water bottle for drinking water
- Swimmers/ bathers/ togs
- Light comfortable clothing
- A jacket (mainly for June, July and August nights)
- Medication and other personal requirements
- A sense of humour!
- Sleeping bag (can be hired for $10, please advise when booking)
- Note: Luggage is strictly restricted to a soft bag of 10kg per person
Small print & important info
- Itinerary may be done in reverse at guides discretion.
- All itineraries are subject to change without notice due to seasonal and extreme weather conditions, National Park road or attraction closures and cultural commitments from Traditional owners.
- All tours must be reconfirmed 24 hrs prior to travel.
- All tours are most suitable for ages between 18 and 45, however those older than this range can be taken into consideration.
- Travel insurance is highly recommended to travellers who embark on any tours with Territory Expeditions.
- Further terms & conditions and cancellation information can be found on our website
- All rates are quoted in Australian Dollars and are inclusive of GST (Goods & Services Tax).
- Rates are valid from 01 April 2018- 31 March 2019
- Rates are quoted per person
- Rates include all National Park fees
- Due to the nature of our tours, the recommended age group is 18-45 years
- 45+ years can be considered based on the individual’s level of fitness.
- 100% payable for all cancellations within 72hrs prior to arrival
- 75% payable for all cancellations between 14 day – 72 hours
- 50% payable for all cancellation between 15 -30 days
- Full refund for all cancellations made outside 30 days prior to travel
- Please note that while we operate successful trips in this region throughout the year, some changes may occur in our itineraries due to inclement weather and common seasonal changes to timetables and transport routes. This can happen with little notice so please be prepared for modifications to the route.
- Please note we are Territory Expeditions, not Territory comfortable, take it easy, sightseeing tours. Our tours are focused on adventure. This includes 4WD vehicles on rough and rugged dirt tracks, longer hikes and swims. You will get dirty and be challenged. This is not a luxury bus tour and your accommodation is camping in swags on the ground. The only stars are in the sky.
- 1 x FOC entry for Tour Guide per 10 paying passengers. Maximum two FOC entries per group.
- Industry discounts available. Please contact Kat Noonan on email@example.com for further information and enquiries.
- Accounts Name: Blakan Pty Ltd
- BSB: 085 949 | Account Number: 9411 46116
- Bank: NAB